Environmental Monitoring (EM), sometimes referred to as Pathogen Environmental Monitoring (PEM), is an ongoing verification program aiming at verifying the effectiveness of the controls in place to prevent cross contamination of the finished product from the environment. It also prevents transient contamination from establishing niches in the manufacturing environment that can eventually lead to contamination in multiple locations in the plant.
With each EM program specific to the individual facility under consideration, there is no such thing as a “one size fits all”. Therefore the CFS Food Safety Specialist will evaluate your program and execution using a principled approach, reviewing and, as required, supporting your team to develop:
- Robust PEM Program design, based on target pathogens / indicators of concern and including static and rotating swab sites with regular site reviews
- Effective PEM program management, including investigations and vector swabbing after a positive, corrective and preventative actions, and tracking, trending and mapping of data
- SSOPs for and documentation of Corrective Actions (CAs) for positive situations
- Proper swabbing techniques for routine and special event environmental sampling
- Proper swabbing site selection, based on facility size and design, equipment amount and design, layout and workflow, as well as a microbiological facility profile.
CFS Preventive Plan Continuum
Last week we had a week long inspection which included a swab-a-thon. Out of the 85 swabs taken, none came back positive for Listeria spp. I would like to thank the CFS team for all of their hard work driving us to this goal. We are on our journey to becoming the best bakery in the country and we will continue to be working with you in the near future. I just wanted to say thank you for helping us!Mike Gross, Vice President Food Safety & Quality, Café Valley
I received [Sanitation Essentials] training at your New Orleans facility a few years back as well as your Food Safety consulting services at our plant back in 2019. I've learned a lot both there and since then. Your Food Safety Specialist was and still is a contact for me till this day. Thanks and keep up the good work!!!Tommie Scudder III, Sanitation Manager, J. Skinner Baking Company
Rich Products Corporation has utilized the expertise of CFS at plant level, through consultation for remediation of food safety challenges. Due to their extensive and varied skill‐sets in sanitation and food safety, CFS provided expertise that aligned with the specific food process and challenge involved.David Vallina, Sanitation Program Manager , Rich Products Corporation